FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
When We All Vote will launch National Voter Registration Week of Action with a rally ahead of more than 100 volunteer-led voter registration events across the country
(Washington, DC): Today, Monday, September 19th at 7 p.m. ET, ahead of National Voter Registration Day, When We All Vote will host the National Voter Registration Week of Action Kickoff Rally featuring Founder and Co-Chair Michelle Obama, Liza Koshy, Rita Wilson, Sheryl Lee Ralph and more to encourage voters to take action during this year’s midterm election season. The virtual rally will build momentum and excitement among volunteers as they prepare to register thousands of voters during When We All Vote’s National Voter Registration Week of Action.
The rally will get volunteers and voters ready to host more than 100 events across the country during the Week of Action. By Election Day, more than 8 million young people will have turned 18 since 2020, and during the Week of Action, When We All Vote will ensure communities across the country are registered and ready to vote in this year’s midterm elections.
WHAT: National Voter Registration Week of Action Kickoff Rally featuring Michelle Obama
- Michelle Obama, When We All Vote Founder and Co-Chair
- Sheryl Lee Ralph, Emmy Award Winning Actress
- Rita Wilson, When We All Vote Co-Chair
- Liza Koshy, When We All Vote Co-Chair
- Stephanie L. Young, When We All Vote Executive Director
WHEN: Monday, September 19th at 7 p.m. ET
When We All Vote’s Week of Action includes more than 100 nonpartisan, volunteer-led voter registration events. Examples include: a voter registration drive for returning citizens and college students at Edward Waters University, an HBCU in Jacksonville, FL; lunchtime voter registration at Compton High School in California; government and econ class voter registration in Sahuarita, AZ; and voter registration at the annual Latino Festival led by students at Frederick Community College in Frederick, MD. Other events and activations include:
- Monday, September 19th: National Voter Registration Week of Action Kickoff Call with Michelle Obama, Liza Koshy, Rita Wilson and more
- Tuesday, September 20th: National Voter Registration Day celebration with a special message from Michelle Obama, Chris Paul, Liza Koshy, Bretman Rock and more; Activations with Community, Tumblr, and Meetup
- Wednesday, September 21st: My School Votes Ramp Up The Vote training for high school student organizers; Power in My Voice virtual panel with Vote.org
- Thursday, September 22nd: Beautiful Noise concert series featuring Brandi Carlile; The State of Environmental Justice in Georgia Twitter Spaces with Grist and Climate Power
- Friday, September 23rd: Beautiful Noise concert series featuring Alicia Keys; Gerrymandering’s Impact on Black and Brown Representation Twitter Spaces with Democracy Docket and Maya Wiley
ABOUT When We All Vote:
When We All Vote, an initiative of Civic Nation, is a leading national, nonpartisan initiative on a mission to change the culture around voting and to increase participation in each and every election by helping to close the race and age gap. Created by Michelle Obama, When We All Vote brings together individuals, institutions, brands, and organizations to register new voters across the country and advance civic education for the entire family and voters of every age to build an informed and engaged electorate for today and generations to come. We empower our supporters and volunteers to take action through voting, advocating for their rights, and holding their elected officials accountable.
In 2020, When We All Vote ran a robust, multifaceted campaign and reached more than 100 million people to educate them about the voting process and get them registered and ready to vote. The initiative also led in voter education, registration, and volunteer engagement and as a result, 512,000 people started or completed the voter registration process, and nearly 500 media, corporate, and nonprofit partners joined its efforts.
Michelle Obama launched When We All Vote in 2018 and is joined by fellow Co-Chairs Stephen Curry, Becky G, Selena Gomez, Tom Hanks, H.E.R., Liza Koshy, Jennifer Lopez, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Janelle Monae, Chris Paul, Megan Rapinoe, Shonda Rhimes, Bretman Rock, Kerry Washington and Rita Wilson.
When We All Vote is a key initiative within Civic Nation, a 501(c)(3) organization, and works with Civic Nation Action, a 501(c)(4). These organizations are homes for changemakers who inspire, educate, and activate people around the issues that will define this generation.
ABOUT Civic Nation:
Civic Nation is a nonpartisan nonprofit ecosystem for high-impact organizing and education initiatives working to build a more inclusive and equitable America. Civic Nation shifts culture, systems and policy by bringing together individuals, grassroots organizers, industry leaders and influencers to tackle some of our nation’s most pressing social challenges. Civic Nation initiatives take on the biggest issues of our time — strengthening democracy, fostering civic engagement and voter participation, fighting for gender equity, and more. Six national initatives are part of Civic Nation – ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, End Rape on Campus, It’s On Us, United State of Women, We The Action and When We All Vote. Learn more here.